Monday, February 22, 2010

Food, INC. Blog 3 Pages 183-218

The author of the "Declare Your Independence" chapter did a good job at catching my attention and making me want to read on. His idea to stop the problems in the food industry and return to more natural food selections is to completely opt out of the way we make and eat or foods. His last sentence of the first paragraph on page 184 does a good job at grabbing the reader in. He says "...it's actually the most realistic and effective approach to transforming a system that is slowly but surely killing us." (Page 184). This gives a pull at the reader's emotions and makes you think, maybe the way that I am eating and what I am buying is actually killing us. He goes on later listing an array of things that we are letting our food industries take part in. The last bullet at the bottom of page 189 is a good example of another emotional affect on the reader. It reads: "Things that end in "cide" (Latin for death)." (Page 189). We are eating foods that have been treated in pesticides and such, and we think sure its killing the dangerous pests and insects that can affect the food, but what is doing to us?

Salatin is a credible source in my mind for this reading because he is a farmer himself. He provides for more than 1,500 families, ten retail outlets, and thirty restaurants. It's a very well written chapter I believe, and that is expected I think because he also has a degree in English and has had several other articles and six books published. He also gives many different suggestions at what we can do throughout the chapter like buying local products, cooking ourselves, planting a garden, or buying what's in season. The problem is having a garden is just not a possibility at all for me, I know I do not always buy in season (which I can change), and buying non-local products are sometimes just the easier way to go for a college student. I do cook for myself, but things that I'm cooking are not exactly what this book would agree with. I'm not sure how much my eating habits will actually change, if at all, after this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment