Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Food, Inc. Blog Post 2

These parts of the book were really focusing on the effects of climate change and things that we could do to change. The chapter "Why Bother?" posed a good question I thought, and it's in the title. It's not that I wouldn't want to do something to help change the climate problems, or reduce my carbon footprint, but when they talk about having an individual stop eating this is just something that I would never do. I eat every day, and I do not see myself changing that part of my diet. I do agree that there are definite problems with the meat industry in the way they treat animals, process their foods, and transfer the meat. However, this does not deter me from going out and buy meat. I do not think that most of the population would stop eating meat because of these things either. Eric Shlosser even made a comment in the movie how to this day his favorite meal is a hamburger with cheese. The question: Why bother? also comes up because it may just be too late to change anything. Climate change, as Michael Pollan points out, is upon us no matter what we do, and it is way ahead of schedule. I'm all for trying to stop climate problems, and reduce carbon footprints, but as a college student who has cheap easy access to the foods that are causing this, what else am I going to do? I can't plant a garden at my apartment here at OU and organic foods are expensive compared to cheap meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment