Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Position Statement

For my research exploration essay I researched the effects of fisheries on the oceans. I explored the pros and the cons fishery management and whether or not it really is taking a toll on the ocean and the fish in the ocean. My position on the topic, as I thought it would be, is that poor fishery management is causing overfishing, pollution, bycatches, and several more problems. I feel that fisheries are not taking the right stands on trying to prevent these things. Also, as someone who loves seafood, I would hate to see the oceans actually run out of fish that we eat. Many scientists are saying that this is happening and complete stocks of popular fish, such as the Bluefin tuna, could be extinct as early as 2048. I would hate to see this happen, as many others would I'm sure, but this isn't the only problem with poor fishery management. I will further explore the problems that are hurting our oceans, and will look to see if the fisheries can maybe sway me in their direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment